Monday, April 2, 2007

Regarding Superman's Feet

Something's been bothering me lately. It's been on my mind and I won't be right until I get it out in the open. It's about Superman; his boots, to be more specific.





I've haven't read many comic books. I've seen all of the Superman movies in the theater as a kid; even Superman IV (I still want my money back). I enjoyed Superman Returns. In the movies they show all the different ways that Clark can make a quick change into Superman. One moment he's wearing a suit, a second later he's wearing a costume. As I understand it, he goes about his day donning his super hero digs like a pair of long johns. Sometimes, before he moves at lightening speed to change, he rips open his shirt, letting us, the viewers, see the SUIT that is beneath the suit. According to a friend of mine, the comics have even addressed the issue of Clark's glasses. There's a pocket in the cape where Supe puts them when he's flying around. It's the boots that concern me. I just don't know how to account for them.

In Superman Returns, there's a scene where Clark enters an elevator, and as soon as the doors almost close, he starts flying up through the hatch, and in one motion drops his Clark outfit and is immediately transformed into Superman. All of it makes sense... except for the boots. Clark wears black shoes around the office. Superman sports bright red boots. I see only two possibilities:

1) He always wears the red boots, but cleverly coats them is shoe polish or a high tech Kryptonian polymer that he wipes off when he changes. The problem with the shoe polish theory is that he would have to carry a shoe polish can in his cape pocket for his change back into Clark.

2) He has a Superpocket. Somehow Superman is able to bend space and time in his immediate vicinity. This would allow for a hidden fold in space where he could keep an extra pair of shoes, or his whole Clark wardrobe if you really think about it. After all, in Superman II, Clark changes into Supe on a side street without even leaving Clark's clothes behind. There is one weakness in this logic: if he could do that, then why would he need a pocket in his cape for glasses?

Personally, I'm leaning toward the Kryptonian boot-covering polymer. If you know the answer, please share it with me. This has been keeping me up at night

J

2 Comments:

At April 3, 2007 at 5:12 AM , Blogger Blah said...

wow, i think you just ruined superman for me!

 
At April 9, 2007 at 6:12 PM , Blogger Martha said...

Lee says that Superman wears special REVERSIBLE boots. He just simply turns them inside out whenever appropriate.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home