Monday, April 16, 2007

Looking For Lena Webb

It was morning.

Not too early. It was 8 am, which is about my normal time arriving in our little office. I tip-toed softly to the door, banana held at my ear, pointed at the ceiling, the way Magnum P.I. held his gun before sneaking up on bad guys. No. I wasn't Magnum. I was Jack Bauer. I took a deep breath. This was going to be a surprise.

I swung around, rushing into the room like a vice cop rushes into a warehouse filled with drug dealers. My banana was aimed at... no one.

I was alone in the room. This was unusual. Lena alway gets here first. This was her room. Her office sanctuary... and her prison.

Then it occurred to me. Lena was gone. She was in New York, for a conference. She'd be there all day. Kene and I would be Lenaless for a full work day. Or is it Lena-free? No. Lenaless. Lena-free makes it sound like a good thing.

I got sad. Really sad. What would I do for the hour before Kene arrived. Who would I talk to? Then it really hit me: Who would I instant message on G-chat?

I yelled, "NOOOOOOOO!" (It's ok. I was alone on the floor. It's a good thing electron microscopists are not morning people).

I wasn't looking forward to explaining this to Kene.

I sat down, checked my email, and started working on my outside paper. I got a lot of work done.

An hour went by and Kene walked in the door.

"Where's Lena? Bathroom?"

I couldn't take it. His words reminded me of her. I started balling.

Kene was puzzled, but he comforted me until I calmed down enough to talk.

"Jason, it's okay. Calm down," he said as he patted my back.

"No, Kene, you don't enderstand. Lena's gone! She'll be gone all day!"

Then it registered for him. His lip quivered. His chin wrinkled. He let out a gutteral uttering. Then he began sobbing uncontrollably. It was my turn to comfort Kene.

Eventually we were able to talk about our feelings and how we would get through the day without Lena. It wouldn't be easy, but we decided we would make it, knowing we'd see her tomorrow. Tomorrow would start anew, and we could pretend as if April 17th never happened.

Around lunchtime, we got sad again. We had an idea. We would find a pair of quirky glasses and a short brown wig. We'd take turns wearing them, pretending to be Lena. We'd use a PC, sit at the big desk, and swear out loud every thirty minutes. Then we'd talk about crushes we had on professors.

It turns out that the student bookstore doesn't sell glasses OR wigs. Walmart was too far away.

WE MISS YOU, LENA!!!!

2 Comments:

At April 17, 2007 at 5:34 PM , Blogger Lena Webb said...

AAAH!! I missed my DUDES! I will be back around lunchtime.

Thanks VERY MUCH for the laugh-- now my mom wants me to marry both of you.

 
At May 25, 2007 at 7:24 AM , Blogger MertMengelmier said...

I think I love this post - and I don't even know you.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home